[botswanapredatorforum] Re: [botswanapredatorforum]: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Pete Le Roux Mashatu" <petelr.mnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:28:07 +0200

Hi All

I read with interest Hannelie's comprehensive document on the lion issue.

Whilst I agree with most of her sentiments I would like to mention that in
the Northern Tuli area - where we have a relatively small lion population -
our lions are (and have been over the past 25 years) impacted more by trophy
hunting than by problem animal control.  The reason being that the trophy
safari industry in adjacent Zimbabwe do not select for non-territorial males
  The result is that our population is constantly losing it's dominant males
 which firstly throws the prides into a state of complete instability -
dominance take-overs every few months - and secondly has resulted in young
sub-adult males (still with the pride) covering their mothers and sisters -
because there are so few adult males now left in the area.  I know that in
Botswana there is a rule (ethical or legislated for, I know not) that
territorial males are not hunted.  However we would be smoking our breakfast
to think that the hunting outfits would, firstly, always be able to
recognise a territorial male (we find that when we have had territorial
males they are moving separately to the pride more regularly than with the
pride - unless the lionesses require their attentions - and these males
would then, by an outsider or somebody not closely familiar with the
structure of the particular pride/s, be seen to be nomadic).  Secondly, even
when the hunter knows that the lion is a territorial animal he will still
kill it, based on the fact that it is likely to be a better trophy than its
nomadic counterparts - lets be honest guys?!

So in a nut shell we would not mind the return of problem animal control,
killing the odd vagrant lion (which are often dispersing young or nomadic
males) or lioness, which become a livestock killers, but would be pretty
chuffed if trophy lion hunting was banned altogether.

Cheers
PETe LE ROUX
MASHATU