[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Ghantzi Road Fence

  • From: "Richard White" <rhwhite@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:23:20 +0200

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] impacts of use of poisons on wildlifeThe original
EIA study (which I wrote) strongly advocated that the road should not be fenced
and Doug ??? who was Chief Biologist in DWNP in the 1980's said that fencing
the road would destroy any chance of rebuilding wildlife populations in the
western sandveld.
The problem here is two-fold:
  1.. A DWNP that hasn't got its eye on the ball and frankly lacks the
professional capability to appraise the impact of this type of development
objectively.
  2.. A Minister of Transport with an agenda that excludes such considerations.
Johnny Swartz (previous Minister of Transport) told me many years ago that the
road would be fenced and the project was initiated when he was Minister of
Transport. You should look into the possibility that he has a vested interest
(shares in a fencing contractor is one possibility).
If you want to stop it at this stage, an approach to the President is your only
hope.
Richard White