[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Fwd: Orphan lion cubs at Tsau gate.

  • From: "pete le roux" <petelr.mnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:26:17 +0200

Hi Bradley

We were looking some time ago at bringing in  lions from outside of the area
to bolster what we believe to be a genetically isolated population.  I
chatted to some people in the Ministry about getting some from the CKGR and
this was met with a favorable response at the time.

We ended up not going ahead because of the logistics of introducing strange
lions into an open system which already has a lion population.

In view of the fact that you guys are fenced it may be worthwhile pursuing
this and introducing them into your place.

In time when Lipadi and Notugre are contiguous - which I have no doubt will
happen, and/or your lions get through the fence - which I also have no doubt
will happen, then we will have achieved both our objectives.

If you need some assistance, please give me a call.

Regards
Pete Le Roux
Mashatu

From: Charles & Linda <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 November 2012 21:31
Subject: Orphan lion cubs at Tsau gate.
To: Kevin MacFarlane <kalaharilionresearch@xxxxxxxxx>

<image001.png>
Hi Kevin

I don't know if you are still in Botswana,I have e mailed Lars as well,but I
got an auto reply that he would only be back in the office on the 3rd.

We were told by Fanie from Hana mining,that there are 3 orphan cubs +- 3
months old,being held in a small cage at Tsau gate.
Apparently they were found by Wildlife in the C.K.G.R sitting next to their
dead mother. They were captured and brought to their camp at Tsau gate a
while ago.

Fanie was there on Wednesday,and he says they have got food and water,but
they are very dirty and don't have much space to move around in.
He asked them what was going to happen to them?and they said that they were
waiting for a decision from Wildlife in Ghanzi.

We are very concerned about their well being,and were hoping that you are
still here or that you can contact someone to go and check up on them and
maybe help find them a better home to go to,or you can please give me
contact details of someone we can
get hold of via e mail.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Regards
Linda

Ps,Did you ever find out what happened to Mogotho? We have still not seen
him or his brother. Dolly and 3 of her big cubs came back last month,and we
are very happy that at least 3 of them survived. They are all in very good
condition,just a bit worried about the 2 male cubs, as a new mature male
started coming here about 2 weeks ago,at this stage they are keeping a low
profile when he is around.

<image002.gif>
<image003.gif>

FREE Animations for your email!