[bookshare-discuss] Re: young adult literature, was way to go...

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:41:02 -0400

Hi all,

I know what you mean. I rediscovered a wonderful book because I had been discussing books I had read as a child in school with a friend on the net. I thought the book was called The Secret Treasure of Glaston, and I couldn't remember its author at all. Well both Gene and I did some research, and we found the book. It's called The Hidden Treasure of Glaston by Eleanor Juitt. I had to read it in sixth grade because we were studying The Middle Ages. Now, it's billed as a juvenile, but is one of the most profound books that I know of, frankly.

It is the story of a boy named Hugh. His father is one of the group of men who took King Henry II at his word and slew St. Thomas Abeckett. the man had to flea England, and he took his son to Glastonbury Abby to keep him safe while he was away. The story is how Hugh grows up in the company of the monks of Glastonbury and finds a treasure that is beyond his wildest dreams! I don't think The Holy Grail is a matter for immature or stupid people, do you? NLS has the book, if anyone's interested. I don't know if Bookshare has it, haven't looked, but when you talk about adults not being allowed to read children's lit, well, sometimes reading children's lit gives us old adult folks food for thought and even a spiritual lift.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring