[bookshare-discuss] Re: what's everyone reading?

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:58:50 -0400

I can make a number of recommendations for that period in the historical
fiction category, and 1 or 2 suggestions in the non-fiction line.

Any of the Brother Cadfael series
by Ellis Peters.
Murder-mysteries taking place in England and Wales, in the 12th century,
where the sleuth is a monk with a very varied background.
There are a couple on Bookshare, and anytime someone is looking for an
excellent series to add to the collection they are certainly worth
scanning.  Unfortunately, my e-copies pre-date Bookshare and I used to
ditch all the front matter.

Eaters Of The Dead
By: Michael Crichton
I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to recall it took place in the
10th century where a group of Vikings were going on an adventure and needed
1 more person to make up the correct number of participants (13???) and
grabbed an Arab Emissary who was unfortunate enough to cross their path to
make up the last member.  I seem to recall it was written from the
Emissary's perspective, and that it was interesting.

Timeline By: Michael Crichton
This one is a science fiction / historical fiction.
An archeology team travels back, or across, to
feudal France circa 1357, in the middle of the 100 years war.

DOOMSDAY BOOK By:   Connie Willis
Another science fiction / historical fiction time travel, where someone is
inadvertently transported back to England during the first outbreak of the
Black Plague.
The Walking Drum by: Louis L'Amour
This is I guess best described as a 12th century adventure.

The Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century
By: Barbara W. Tuchman
This is 1 of the non-fiction ones.

       The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
By: Ami Maalouf
Another non-fiction with a different perspective.