[bookshare-discuss] Re: txt files

  • From: "Silvara" <silvara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:06:21 -0400

The purpose of my message was not to discourage people from submitting txt
files that they already scanned. I agreed that we should not lose access to
such books. The reason I posted was to encourage people to save new scans as
rtf, if *at all possible.* I have used Microsoft Word, Word Pad and even
tested out note pad. There is an option in Word XP to save txt with lay out.
However, when I tried to save, it said it needs a converter.  So apparently
this converter is not automatically installed. I now use K1000 as my editor
and it keeps formatting in txt files.

I just conducted a little test with txt.  I created the file in Word and
saved it as plain txt which is the only option that it allows. I then opened
this same file in K1000, all the page breaks were gone. I then put in the
page breaks and saved it in txt.  I opened this file in Word and the page
breaks were there. I edited it and saved it. I again opened the file in
K1000 and the page breaks were gone again. This suggests to me that if the
file is initially saved in plain txt without formatting, it doesn't matter
what program is used to open the file.

Sorry for the long post.

Grace