[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:57:36 -0500

Diane,

I can't help you with your Braille Note, but I have a VR Stream, and may be able to help.

This assumes you are downloading the daisy version.
After you download your book from Bookshare, make sure to unzip it to a folder, preferably the same name as your book, for neatness and organizational sake. Now when you move it to your VR Stream's card, make sure you put this new folder in the correct VR Stream folder. E.G. $VRDTB Now if you want to use what my mother would have called the "belt & suspender" approach, open this folder with your new daisy book and copy the file with the .xml extension to your $VRText folder as well. This last step somewhat relies on your having your system set up to display file name extensions. If you don't, the file with the .xml extension should be the last 1 with the book's name in the folder. The only reason I would recommend doing that, is until I'm sure they have the bugs worked out of the daisy transcription software, you are assured of getting at least 1 working copy of the book on your VR Stream, and the files don't take up that much space.

Dave

At 10:13 PM 1/21/2009, you wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new member so forgive me writing under this subject but it all falls into problems with the new site I guess.

I'm having all kinds of trouble at this point. I must say, I have an older BrailleNote which until now, has worked great. Now, when I copy the files I can't read them and the older books I haven't read yet I'm getting a dialog of "invalid password" and I know the password is correct as it's accepted when I log into Bookshare.

The second problem is I just purchased a Victor Reader and when i download books, I can get them on the card in the card reader but when I insert the card into the player it doesn't locate the file at all. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but can't figure out what.

I'd be so grateful if someone can help me get back to reading again. I'm going crazy.

Thanks for the list and I hope someday I will be able to help someone else out as well.

-Diane Hubbard
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cindy Rosenthal" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>