[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:24:56 -0500

Hi Roger,

I've never used the Stream Companion software, as I have my card reader, which I find more convenient for my purposes. Admittedly, I am a bit of a dinosaur, and I still find myself dropping into a DOS box to accomplish certain file management task.

The $VRDTB folder however, is the one that is intended for daisy books, whether they be from Bookshare or the NLS. Unfortunately, for a while there, the Bookshare daisy files had issues, and being of a conservative nature in some things, I'm not going to say they've gone away until we go a few months without any hitches. Sometimes when a Bookshare daisy book was put on the Stream, the Stream would skip right over it not seeing it at all; other times it would read the title the first time, not letting you access it, and then skip over it after that; on other occasions, it would read the title, access the book, and tell you that you were at the end; while in some instances it would read it just fine. Thankfully, I think the latter case prevails right now, and the only problem I have seen lately, is that when deleting a book from the Stream via its own delete feature, the daisy folders aren't always being removed as there seem to be 1 or more files in them that the Stream doesn't associate with daisy books. I'm not sure who, if either, is straying from the daisy standard, (which isn't really so standard, as it is evolving) or not fully implementing it, or adlibbing a bit.

In any case, I guess for a while, I will continue to put a copy of the xml book I wish to read into the $VRText folder, as well as the daisy edition in its place, because I find it easier to delete extra files later, rather than having to go back and transfer files once I think I'm done and ready to read.

Dave

At 11:31 PM 1/21/2009, you wrote:
That is how I am doing it, except that I am transferring only the XML file. The description of the problem, though, sounds like something I ran into at an earlier time. I seemed to be transferring the file to the card perfectly well, but then when I got the card into the Stream the book was not there. When I examined the contents of the card with my computer, though, I did find the book I was trying to put on it. The problem was that it was in no folder. At the end of the list of folders it was sitting there as if it was a folder itself. I finally reformatted the card and started over using the Stream Companion. I was careful to transfer the file into the folder labeled text. The one labeled dtb seems to be for talking books like one gets from the NLS. It also seems that when transferring using the companion the only file that shows as available for transfer is the XML file. That is apparently why this problem with putting books from the new site on the Stream does not seem to have effected me.