[bookshare-discuss] transcript

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:49:13 -0500

Here is the transcript of that story.

PALO ALTO, Calif., Feb. 22, 2007
Jim Fruchterman, seated, says Bookshare.org gives blind people the tools to
download books and read them themselves.
(CBS)
Quote "The corporate goal is to make the biggest impact on people in need
around the world."
Jim Fruchterman, entrepreneur
(CBS)
Silicon Valley is where dreams turn into household names, and millionaires
are minted by the bucketful,
CBS News correspondent Byron Pitts
 reports.
Jim Fruchterman has been an entrepreneur there for more than 20 years, and
he embraces the high-tech culture.
"It
is
 a badge of honor to be a geek, you know. Geeks love technology for its own
sake, and we like to solve problems," Fruchterman says.
It's solving problems and improving lives, not lucrative stock options, that
drive this geek. His startup is a
. He's what's called a "social entrepreneur."
His major product ?
 ? is an online library for the blind. It's the equivalent of a medium-sized
bookstore. Around the country, thousands of volunteers have scanned more
than
30,000 titles, everything from Proust to Harry Potter to the latest
best-seller.
It's all legal thanks to a provision of copyright law that allows the
disabled to access content they couldn't get in its original form. Once the
books
are scanned, a computer converts them into either Braille or audio.
"The corporate goal is to make the biggest impact on people in need around
the world," Fruchterman says.
Brian Miller of Alexandria, Va., is completely blind. He's one of more than
6,000 subscribers to Bookshare. In addition to books, he downloads some of
the
150 newspapers available each morning, so Brian can make his D.C. commute
like everyone else.
"It takes minutes. You go on the Web site, you download it, it's in your
pocket and you're reading it on your way to work, the same way that somebody
who's
grabbing The New York Times or the Washington Post out of the machine,"
Miller explains. "That's bringing you into the community. To have that kind
of
immediate access to information is life-changing."
"I like being able to get on there and download the latest novel," says
Priscilla McKinley, Brian's wife, who is also blind. "I think it's really
cool that
my siblings can recommend books to me now and I can go and I can read them
and I can call and say, 'Hey, I read this,'" she adds.
"So it's that sort of 'I can do these things' that makes me feel good that
we've created a way that they can do these things without needing help,"
Fruchterman
says. "We're not going to go out there and read books to blind people. We're
going to give them the tools so they can download the books and read them
themselves."
Fruchterman recently got a MacArthur genius award. He's now trying to
convince the next generation of high-tech entrepreneurs to be socially
conscious.

He says he measures success by "how many people we've helped with our
technology.
"That's our goal, to make sure technology really serves the bigger social
issues, rather than just making a buck," he says.
In a high-tech world consumed by profits, Fruchterman is investing in
people. He's doing well ... and doing good.
© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Now you're in the public comment zone. What follows is not CBS News stuff;
it comes from other people and we don't vouch for it. A reminder: By using
this
Web site you agree to accept our
. Click here to read the
.
Comments
 [
 ]
You are logged in as
rickrod1121
. Click
 to logoff.
Your Comment
(No HTML; Comments are limited to 1500 characters.)

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/common/images/v2/button_publish.gif
INSIDE CBS Evening News
TOP STORIES
Go To CBS News Video
537
Inactive Control
7
9
11
13
15
17
19
21
CBS News - Most Popular
?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Advertising Links |
Flash movie end
Hello, rickrod1121  ? Logout
Breaking News
Feb. 22, 2007 8:33pm

Home  |
U.S.  |
World  |
Politics  |
SciTech  |
Health  |
Entertainment  |
Business  |
Opinion  |
Strange News  |
Sports  |
Blogs  |
Interactives  |
Mobile  |
Video
 [ Build Playlist ]
CBS Evening News
 [ Watch Now ]  |
The Early Show  |
48 Hours Mystery  |
60 Minutes  |
CBS News Sunday Morning  |
Face The Nation  |
Up To The Minute
v2/misc_yahoo
Stories

  ? Show Search Options
  ? Search Tips

Click here to find out more!

Section Front
Answers.com
E-Mail This Story
Printable Version
Tag With del.icio.us
Click here to find out more!

Tech Entrepreneur Helps Blind To Read
Bookshare Scans Books And Converts Them To Braille Or Audio For Immediate
Access

table with 3 columns and 34 rows

Main Page
Main Page
Blog: Couric & Co.
Blog: Couric & Co.
Couric's Notebook
Couric's Notebook
First Look
First Look
CBS News FYI
CBS News FYI
CBS News Investigates
CBS News Investigates
Blog: Primary Source
Blog: Primary Source
Eye On Technology
Eye On Technology
Blog: Tech Talk
Blog: Tech Talk
Assignment America
Assignment America
The Skinny
The Skinny
freeSpeech
freeSpeech
Reporter's Notebook
Reporter's Notebook
Bios
Bios
Contact Info
Contact Info
Inside Scoop
Inside Scoop
CBS Evening News Video
CBS Evening News Video
table end

Sponsor
11/image2351241 sponsorships.cbsnews.com/;adid=69917273;sz=1x1
Wireless Alerts
E-Mail Alerts
Podcasts
RSS Feeds

Photo Essay
Book People
Book People
Felicity Huffman writes, Gwyneth Paltrow reads and Oprah Winfrey recommends.
Tech+Entrepreneur+Helps+Blind+To+Read
RELATED STORIES & LINKS
Series: The American Spirit
Katie Couric Reports On Progress In Critical Issues Facing America
Series: The American Spirit
----

"Kalamazoo Promise" Delivers
Teacher Hatched A Plan For Free College Education For Everyone In Her
District
[...]

non-profit
. He's what's called a "social entrepreneur."

His major product ?
Bookshare.org
[...]

Terms of Service
. Click here to read the
Rules of Engagement.
Comments [ + Post Your Own ]

Post A Comment

You are logged in as rickrod1121. Click
here
 to logoff.

Your Comment (No HTML; Comments are limited to 1500 characters.)

submit

INSIDE CBS Evening News
22/image2506521s
Tech Entrepreneur Helps Blind To Read
Bookshare Scans Books And Converts Them To Braille Or Audio For Immediate
Access
? Oscar's Biggest Loser
? New Airport Scanner Gets Personal
? Series: The American Spirit
? More

TOP STORIES
22/image2506094s
Anna Nicole To Be Buried In The Bahamas
Warring Parties Will Work Together To Plan Burial
? Chemicals Signal Change Of Tactics In Iraq
? U.S.: Meeting Set For New Iran Sanctions
? AWOL Soldier Gets Prison Time
? More

Back To Top  Back To Top

Flash movie start

[...]