[bookshare-discuss] the next Science fiction meeting

  • From: Lelia Struve <leliastruve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:45:11 -0500

Hello All,

As usual, we had a great discussion at last night's meeting of the Science Fiction
club.

The next meeting will be on Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific
time in the Friends of Bookshare Community Room at
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

The book we all decided to do this month is Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge. It can
be found on Bookshare at
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=53699

The Bookshare synopsis reads:
It explains human implications of new technologies, cyberspace. It is the superhuman intelligence that can result from cleverly connecting vast numbers of people electronically.
Not only is this a good yarn but it had neurons popping with new ideas.

The synopsis from NLS reads as follows:
Southern California, twenty-first century.
Seventy-five-year-old Robert Gu, renowned poet and former
professor, survives a near-fatal battle with Alzheimer's.
Physically well but mentally behind, Robert takes classes at
a high school to retrain his brain and unwittingly becomes
part of an international conspiracy to take over the world.

This sounds like another great one from an author with a reputation for memorable
characters, tremendous imagination and authorial skill.

So check this out and then come and join us next month for what I am sure will be
another great discussion.

Evan

--
Email services provided by the System Access Mobile Network. Visit www.serotek.com to learn more about accessibility anywhere. To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx