[bookshare-discuss] the magic of thinking big.

  • From: "Lisa Hall" <lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bookshare-discuss list'" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:26:36 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am reading a book called the Magic of Thinking Big by David Joseph
Schwartz that was submitted by Monica Svopa.

According to the web site on bookshare, there is no ISBN submitted, no
synopsis submitted, and no rating submitted which I think is optional. It
says that the book is excellent with little or no errors, however, when
reading the grade 2 braille file, there are translating errors. There are no
beginning and ending computer Braille code, however, it was written in Grade
2 Braille which is incorrect if you want to follow BANA standards. Does
anyone know if this book have been validated and check for errors in
proofreading? The page number and chapter numbers run close together and
there is no paragraph indicators from what I can tell. There are letter sign
indicators in the document which should not be there. I don't know if any of
the headings have been centered in print at all. I am reading the book with
PacMate BX400 and PM440 braille display. Does anyone know what Braille
translation program was used to process these books? I haven't check the
daisy format of the book to see where paragraphs are put in.

As some of you know, I am a certified Literary Braille Transcriber as of
April 29, 2004 after submitting my trial manuscript back in March 2004. I
made a score of 90 out of 100 which is a passing grade. The minimum score is
80 points or better. As of May 9, 2005, I walked across stage with standing
ovation wearing cap and gown being the first blind person to go through the
Braille Textbook Transcriber Program at Northwest Vista College. I am now
doing a temporary 6 week contract with the school writing policies and
procedures on students who request materials in alternative format. The
school have had some combination of books obtained from the publishers and
some that we had to scan ourselves. Scanning and cleaning the book is a very
time-consuming process when a student is requesting material faster than we
can process them. What have some of you done to process them. Do you have
the work contracted out to a certified Braille transcriber?

I have been busy updating my web site and will be working with faculty and
staff on web accessibility, accessing pdf documents and getting pdf
documents tagged properly so that it can be more accessible to people with
disabilities.

Anyone is welcome to view my web site and it's listed below my signature.

Thanks.

Lisa Hall,

Consultant for Adaptive Technology for Northwest Vista College, a college of
the Alamo Community College District.

Web page: http://home.satx.rr.com/lisahall

Phone: (210) 829-4571

E-mail and MSN I.D.: lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx