[bookshare-discuss] Re: starting a book club

  • From: "Nancy Feldman" <nancy_feldman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:14:26 -0700

Hi, Meka,

Because we have the power of Bookshare behind us now, we can do the same
thing that others might do.  So, having decided that your idea sounds
interesting, I poked at Amazon.com.  I found several books about organizing
a book club.  One example is below.  Maybe someone could tackle scanning
this.

As to finding book clubs, I'd start by calling your local bookstores.  My
Tattered Covers both run book clubs, while I believe that our Barnes and
Noble does as well.

Some specialty bookstores might help you find people with very similar
interests.  For interest, Oh, My Goddess was a pagan coffee shop and store
here in Denver for a long while; it's gone now, but it might have had book
clubs.  Or your local women's center.  Our local Unitarian churches run book
clubs; other churches might as well.  If all else fails, try your local
library.

Anyway, on to the book I found.

Recipe for a Book Club: A Monthly Guide for Hosting Your Own Reading Group:
Menus & Recipes, Featured Authors, Suggested Readings, and Topical Questions
(Hardcover)
by Mary O'Hare

12 months of books, authors, menus, and recipes for book clubs.
Unlike other basic reading group guides, "Recipe for a Book Club" combines
good eating with good reading for the millions of Americans who participate
in book clubs. Written by two book-and-cooking sisters who formed their own
monthly reading and eating groups that continue to meet, "Recipe for a Book
Club" starts in January and ends in December, with a reading theme for each
month and a menu and recipes to go with it, a featured favorite book and
author, suggested reading list, and interesting questions to ponder and
discuss. From January's theme of New Authors to December's theme of
Inspiration for the new year, this attractively illustrated guide is ideal
for all reading groups, whether brand-new or long-established.