[bookshare-discuss] Re: searching for public domain books

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:21:33 -0500

Hey Cindy,
    Currently the BookShare search function is quite limited. Searching for
Title searches only the title that is the link to the book and it won't find
something if you input Adventures Tom Sawyer, but if you put in Tom Sawyer
it will find The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Here is what a copyrighted booksearch result looks like:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (British Edition)
by
J. K. Rowling
Quality:
Excellent, almost no errors.
Language:
English
Synopsis:
Harry, Ron and Hermione have returned to Hogwarts for their second year and
the round of classes and quidditch has begun. But nothing can prepare them
for
what happens next.
Copyright Date:
1998
Available Formats:
BRF DAISY
Membership required for download (Copyrighted)

here's what a public domain search result looks like:

Tom Swift And His Motor-Boat
by
Victor Appleton
Quality:
Excellent, almost no errors.
Language:
English
Synopsis:
none
Copyright Date:

Available Formats:
TEXT DAISY HTML BRF
Membership not required for download (Public domain)

As you can see the different lines stating whether membership is required.
Also, public domain titles are available in TXT and HTML in addition to the
specialized formats of DAISY and BRF.

HTH,
Jake