[bookshare-discuss] Re: quick fix

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:36:46 -0700

One reason for this is that the submitter may have scanned the information on the dust jacket and put that information in the long synopsis. The problem is that if you scan this with column detection off, in OpenBook at least, it puts a hard return at the end of every line of print. For some reason, when Bookshare gets through with it, those hard returns are removed, but not replaced with spaces. Hence, words are run together. I know this can happen, because it happened to a book I submitted.

Also, if this is the case, then unless the submitter changed that setting, in OpenBook at least, then every line of print will begin a new paragraph throughout the book. I don't know if this makes a difference to people listening to it, but in Braille, it doesn't look so good, especially since the Braille display is almost certainly going to have a different margin than the print book did. You will get lots of partial lines, and an indent at the beginning of every new line of print in the original book.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julie Morales" <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>