[bookshare-discuss] nonfiction book club summary

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <rickrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:21:57 -0400

Hello everyone,

The Nonfiction Book Club met tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern. The book we were going to discuss was Planet India: How the Fastest-Growing Democracy Is Transforming America and the World by Mira Kamdar. Because we had few participants, and no one who had read the book, our discussion went in other directions. The big question is: Is there a need for a nonfiction club as such.

We discussed several reasons for poor attendence:

1.  People are involved in many activities other than Bookshare.

2.  People are busy scanning and validating.

3.  This is March Madness weekend.

4.  Some people who enjoy reading don't particularly enjoy analyzing.

4.  Those people who are involved with book clubs only have time for a few.

5.  Many of the topics of the Nonfiction Club overlap those of the history.

We discussed several alternative club ideas.  These included:

1.  A classic book club.

2.  A New York Times bestsellers club.

3. A theme club. The group would choose a theme. Books could be selected by members, but not everyone would read the same one. Books could be about a time period or a person, for example.

4. Another possibility would be a club that I call the Sunday newspapers. Actually, it would be to discuss news, columns, and features in the various newspapers we read. I would probably hold meetings on Sunday night. If such a group were started, and if it met weekly, it should have co-moderators, in case one of them got tied up.