[bookshare-discuss] Re: new Mack Bolan submission

  • From: "Duane Iverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:10:08 -0600

Ah DOS!
would that it were possible to. . .
but it's not.
You can't use a zip utility such as winzip or pk-zip to unpack
bookshare books.
There are two ways to unpack books.
1, have a newer version of either Arkenstone open book or
Kurzweil.  These programs have built in facilities for unpacking
bookshare books.  You can select the file from the file-list
within the program and openbook or Kurzweil will unpack the book
so you can read it.
If you use one of these programs, you should open the book then
save in *.ark or *.kes format.  an *.ark file is one created by
openbook and a *.kes file is created by Kurzweil.
The second way is the method I use.
On the sight, there is the bookshare unpack utility.
You can download the program, install the program, and use it to
unpack books.
Decide in what folder you will put your downloaded books and
where you want the "unpacked" books to reside.  Once you do you
can use the unpacker to create files of the books.
The unpacker creates DASI files.  Each book contains about half
a dozen files one of which is text and the rest have purposes
which someone who understands DASI could explain to you..  If
you have a DASI reader, you can use the files directly.  The
unpacker also gives you the option of creating an HTML file of
the book.  If you let it make an HTML file you can read the book
using MS-Word or Internet Explorer.
Both openbook and Kurzweil, at least Openbook 6 and above and
kurzweil 8 and above can read DASI books.
Bookshare also has a DASI reader on the sight called Victor
Reader Soft which can read DASI books.
I have used the Victor Reader in the past, but prefer my
Openbook 6 to read DASI books.
Victor Reader has its own synthesized Voice, but Me and Mr.
Dectalk have been good friends for many years now.

All the best and welcome.

Sincerely Yours,
Duane Iverson