[bookshare-discuss] Re: literary classics

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:30:58 -0800

Hi. No, but you can easily find summaries with a little searching. One great resource is http://en.wikipedia.org/. Another is http://1911encyclopedia.org/. Both are encyclopedias as you can tell from the sites. For the more common works and authors, like Jack London, you should have no problem with either resource. For the lesser known works such as "The Great Round World," a magazine for boys and girls, it might be more difficult. I couldn't find anything about it on either site. Remember though that even though there isn't a synopsis, you can read the books online. Often the preface and table of contents will tell you what the book is about. For example, with The Great Round World, we learn that it's a weekly magazine for younger teens or children and is an overview of the news from the week. Also, since we're talking about magazines, Project Gutenberg has many which you can't get from bookshare.org. Included are many old issues of The Atlantic Monthly and Scientific American Supplement. They are even starting to publish WWI articles from the New York Times. Finally, another generally good source of reviews is amazon.com. You can go to http://www.amazon.com/access/ and search for the book title. That will usually give you a synopsis.

At 12:07 PM 12/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:

    The last time I was on Project Gutenberg (several years ago) there was
no synopsis of the books, only titles.  Has this changed?