[bookshare-discuss] em dashes and numbers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:22:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Sue,

It's not really before a number but in a number like
an age. I always used a dash in twenty-four, for
example, but when we had this discussion a little
while back and I looked up the various kinds of dashes
in the dictionary I found that the en dash, which I'd
never used, was the proper thing to use in such
numbers, e.g. twenty?four. (I'm not sure if you can
see the difference in this e-mail. I think they don't
show up; if not, I'll send samples in an attachment.
Also, as I said, in  compound words that aren't
combined into whole words. Apparently hyphens are,
technically, only used to divide words at ends of
lines, which we don't do for bookshare. However, I'm
sure most people would see not to bother -- that
hyphens and double dashes for the em dash is fine to
use.

Cindy

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail