[bookshare-discuss] Re: e: Re: publisher qualitty books

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:03:28 -0400

Hi Sue,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Many people cannot afford a computer. However, it is becoming more affordable with things like Gnome in Linux and the System Access suite of products.

One can, if one has access to a computer, even on a temporary basis, validate books. This would be possible, for example, for someone working at a library or a friend's house by using System Access Mobile.

I am just beginning to explore the new Gnome Desktop in Linux, and I have to tell you, it's great! <smiling> Not only that, Gnome has Braille Support built in. the software is free, too.

Now, I can't say I know much about Gnome yet, I'm on chapter 4 of the Desktop Manual, but I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

System Access is not a bad system, and it is, about a third of the price of Jaws. You could read and/or validate books using System Access. The scanner program that comes with it, is kind of simple, and it really isn't good enough to scan books for bookshare. But validations are indeed possible!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring