[bookshare-discuss] Re: deleting unneeded material

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:00:54 -0400

If you're dealing with a BRF file, I'm assuming that you're opening that in
some program which has editing capabilities, so you can just delete items
from that file as you would usually in the program you're using. If you need
to translate the BRF file to TXT before being able to manipulate it, a free
solution is to use WinTrans (found at
http://www.blind-computing.com/braille/braille.php with the download for the
program being in the Programs section and documentation being in the
Tips/Tutorials section; the sections are denoted with headings); once you've
got the TXT file, you can edit in whichever word processor you wish as you
normally would edit things in your word processor of choice. If you're
dealing with the DAISY format, though you could quite easily open the XML
file associated with the DAISY book in a program like MS Word and edit it to
your liking, there would still be some things left over, such as page
references to any pages you might have deleted, and to get rid of those
would take some more editing of actual raw code in a few files, so I
wouldn't recommend that as the way to go unless you don't mind the useless
references; instead, when unpacking the DAISY book, choose to create an HTML
copy, then either open the HTML copy in a program like MS Word that will
allow you to easily manipulate the text in the file as you normally would
any other file in MS Word without having to edit HTML code and delete what
you want, or use a program like Word or Internet Explorer/Firefox to save
the HTML file as text and edit the resulting TXT file in your word processor
of choice. As you can see, a few possibilities, based on what type of file
you want to be reading (BRF, HTML, TXT, and so on).

HTH,

Maria
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic