[bookshare-discuss] correcting books after download

  • From: "Don Bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare " <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:50:27 -0700

I'm a bookshare subscriber and haven't posted much here at all,but I do have a
question.

I've been reading the questions by those who have the time to validate books,
and they've prompted  questions of my own.

I've found that I prefer reading the .brf files from bookshare as just can't
get used to synthesized book readers.  But, I notice some errors and some
appear to
actually be consistent.  Such things as words which should be hyphenated but
are treated as separate words, many on a consistent basis.  There are other
times where the first syllable will be (I think) com which is actually
translated as the word corn.

My question is this:  I read the discussions about book corrections and note
that validators are  downloading the books to be validated in word or rtf or
even
text format.  Are they then converted to the daisy and .brf formats as part of
the post-validation process?

I'm trying to figure out whether the errors I'm seeing are from the original
scans, the translation to .brf, or maybe in some other step I'm not aware of.
And,
how can I best correct these, at least for my own personal braille reading if
nothing else.

I'm presently reading a book called Independence without sight or sound which
is rated as "good", but in all honesty, I'd really have to rate the quality as
somewhat lower than that.

I realize this book may be from the early bookshare days when procedures were
still being put into place,so I honestly don't want to be too critical here.
Just
wondering what I might do to make the errors less of a distraction.  It's kind
of a text book format anyway, so the errors really do tend to slow down
reading.

I must confess I haven't done a lot of reading from bookshare until very
recently when I've been able to get more time for reading.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or tips.

Don