[bookshare-discuss] books to read/mysteries

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

-Shannon et al,

Have you read the Caleb Carr books The Alienist, Angel
of Darkness and Killing Time? I haven't yet read the
third one, which is set in the future. The first two
are excellent. An Alienist is te old word for
psychologist. Both the first two books are set in
19th-century New York and, though at least one of the
historical incidents occurred later, I think, than the
time period in the second book, that's literary
license. The ambiance of the time and the mystery and
the solving of it using profiling and forensics, which
weren't generally accepted by the police at the time,
are wonderful. All of Carr's books are in the
bookshare collection, but as far as I know these are
the only 3 ficton. I liked the first two so much I
thought I'd read  The Devil Soldier) but Carr is a
historian by trade -- I think he's a professor -- and
I found The Devil Soldier too dry and to copiously
footnoted to be readable.

http://mail.yahoo.com