[bookshare-discuss] Re: banned books on bookshare

  • From: "Suzanne Wilson" <suzannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:20:03 -0400

I'll try to give you my interpretation of what's wrong with it. The title refers to children who are locked in an attic by their mentally disturbed mother, and the relationships that develop between them, most notably one between the brother and sister. Let's just say that it's much more than platonic. In many ways, it's understandable how children in such a bizarre situation would react in this way, so it's not the incest itself that bothered me. It's the way the author portrayed it, gloried it, reveled in each detail. There was a creepy, voyeuristic quality to this series that just gave me the creeps. Also, the writing style really got on my nerves quickly. It was like a composition with too many frilly grace notes for show and no substance underneath.

Sue

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 6:32 PM
Hi all,

I do appreciate the wealth of literature that is available
on
Bookshare, banned books and all.  Some folks might get all
bent out of
shape to find out that there is a significant pagan
contingent on
Bookshare who are scanning their primers and religious
texts.  They'd
probably have a ballihoo fit!  But I love it!  I may not
read it.  It's
not my thing, but I'm pleased as punch that it's
there.

I agree that you should not be against any author unless
you've read
that author.  I, for example, am opposed to letting
children and young
people read V.C. Andrews.  I don't like her writing and
I don't like
her attitude toward the incidents in her novels.  I have
read two and a
half books of hers and had to stop because I got physically
repelled.
I think she is one of those authors who can only be read by
children if
and only if, a parent is prepared to sit and read the book
with the
child and then discuss it.  Her hands-off no participation,
amoral
writings give me the gru!

On the other hand, I would encourage children to read Harry
Potter
because they are morally sound.  One is never, ever in
doubt as to the
author's view of what the characters are doing and
where they are going
and who is doing right at any given moment.  No, Rowling is
morrally
sound, whereas V.C. Andrews is not.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Email services provided by the System Access Mobile
Network.  Visit
  Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
Subject line.  To get a list of available commands, put the