[bookshare-discuss] Re: audio books abridged..

  • From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:17:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
Again my understanding has always been that the short editions are marketing tools. I dislike them too and buy print books for this and a number of other reasons.
I actually sought out and bought my very first abridged books this year, but the motivation was rather unique and not likely to be repeated. all the others i have were gifts.
I think only one of these is the whole thing, although I will have to check.
I believe the idea of recording books in their entirety is a rather new commercial concept at least.
I might add though this is off topic that I do not do descriptive video either.

Karen

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Cindy wrote:

A lot of audiio books seem to  be abridged. I was
surprised to notice that when selecting audio books
for a friend of mine who hates abridged books. In our
bookstore we have a lot that have been donated, and I
brought home quite a few for her to choose from among
and they were all abridged. After that I looked
carefully at both ones the librarians were discarding
and others that were donated to us, and extermely few
were unabridged. I have no idea why that would be.
Several said "approved by the author."  I admit that I
skip some descriptions in some books and get to the
story, but that should be my choice, not someone
else's.

Cindy

--- Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That story does not surprise me.
When I met Noah Adams at a Corporation for Public
Broadcasting meeting and
told him of his titles in the NLS program he said
the same thing.  why did
not they ask me to read it?
I agree with those about  the fact NLS is playing
with abridged material,
in theory at least.  i saw someone suggesting that "
sighted people" came
up with the abridged concept etc as if this were
some kind of conspiracy
against the blind, and that is really silly since
the audio
book exists in that format to encourage people to
buy the print ones, or
for those who want to read on the go in a way.
Goodness many who could
use the NLS program do not even know of its
existence.

Still I am going to phone the national  headquarters
next week and ask
them.
The purpose of the library in the first place was to
create  access to
full text  for those who indeed could not take  part
in their public
libraries.
I will have to get the Nixon book too.
Karen

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Evan Reese wrote:

Back in the 80s? I think, Larry King - the talk
show host, not the other
author with the same name - wrote an autobiography
which NLS recorded.
Someone called him up one night and mentioned that
it was available as a
talking book, and he was a little miffed that he
wasn't asked to read his own
book.  He said he would have done it.

If you want to listen to a former president read a
book, RFB&D has a book,
"Real Peace" by Richard Nixon, read by Richard
Nixon. As far as I know, it
is unabridged; he read the whole thing. It's not
a very long book, nothing
compared to Clinton's monster.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen
Lewellen"
<klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Author:        Clinton, Bill, 1946-
 Title:         My life [sound recording]  /
Bill Clinton.
 Edition:       Abridged.
 Published:     New York, N.Y. : Random House
Audio, c2004.
(Distributed in special format for the Library
of Congress by
 Talking Book Publishers)
analog, 15/16 ips, 4
 track, mono.
 Book Number:   RC 58101
 Dewey No.:     973.929092 B ANF
 ISBN:          0739317059
 Notes:         A shared master program book.
The Random House
Audio recording has been adapted by NLS. The
publication has
been changed to 15/16 ips, 4 track format.
Side announcements
 have been added.
 Digital master.

However they did record the original version
as well:

Author: Clinton, Bill, 1946- Title: My life [sound recording] /
Bill Clinton.
Published: New York, N.Y. : Random House
Audio, c2004.
(Distributed in special format for the Library
of Congress by
 Talking Book Publishers)
containers (C-90) :
 analog, 15/16 ips, 4 track, mono.
 Book Number:   RC 58100
 Dewey No.:     973.929092 B ANF
 ISBN:          0375414576
 Notes:         A shared master program book.
The Random House
Audio recording has been adapted by NLS. The
publication has
been changed to 15/16 ips, 4 track format.
Side announcements
 have been added.

Actually, they didn't record either one at the
talking book studios the
way they usually make talking books by the
looks of things, which might
explain how they got them out so fast. I
don't know which one came out
first, though they both came out quicker than
usual.