[bookshare-discuss] Re: What a moderator does

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:12:43 -0500

Hi all,

Original message:
Cindy, for a good explanation of what a moderator does, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/jugcam/web/guidelines-for-facilitation-of-electronic-discussion-groups

I've moderated several lists over the years.  Depending on the
list's focus, and the personalities of the members, it can be a
breeze or it can be a very time consuming job.  To do it well
requires a deft touch, and on some lists it definitely isn't a
job for the faint-hearted! grin.

Hoo yeh, I could tell you stories. Remind me to tell you about what was jokingly called The Fat Wars on the old St. Johns server. That was a hoodoo rivaling all hoodoos. On the other hand, I have seen the most beautiful messages of condolence and support for people in need; I have seen people support folks who were suicidal, I have seen outpourings of joy and congratulations when folks got jobs or got married; it's truly amazing.

What is so special about online communities is that even though we never see each other in person, we become friends for life. One of my dearest friends, Lisa Carmelle, gone a year and a half now, I never met in person. I met her on the ham bands and continued our friendship through twenty years of correspondence on lists and off. Yes, being a listowner is a hard job, but man, is it rewarding! So is just being a member of a list. I'm honored and thrilled to know each and every one of you. I better stop before I short out my keyboard!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring