[bookshare-discuss] Re: Validating

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:48:58 -0400

Hi, Cindy Lou. Just in case this gives you some confidence in volunteering, none of us knew how to do everything when we started volunteering. Some of us didn't know how to get a scan while others had never used a program like Microsoft Word. It is only by taking a risk and making some mistakes that we learn how to do things, and that applies to Bookshare as well as the rest of life. (smile) I cringe at the appearance of my first scan, and I was so discouraged when I got a rejection for scan quality. However, the other volunteers took their time to encourage and teach me so that I get very clear scans now. I know they will do the same for you if you choose to get involved. It's an awesome feeling when I can fill someone's book request or submit a book that I believe will help other people spiritually or emotionally. These things alone would make volunteering worthwhile, and yet I also gained so much more; friendships with good people, confidence in sharing my thoughts with others, and learning how to show respect to people with opinions I do not share. It's been worth getting that rejection notice and making some pretty big mistakes to gain what I have now. (smile)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx