[bookshare-discuss] Two books submitted

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:03:08 -0500

Two books submitted.

OCR with a Smile
An Operator's Guide To Optical Character Recognition

By Fred Ross

This is the recommended book on OCR.  I did find it fascinating, though the
book is more focused on OCR for businesses and not for our intentions.
Books gets one page, and what he has to say about books isn't very
comforting.  I also see, why Kurzweil and Open book don't incorporate
particular features.  The book was very visual "Look at the image" and the
like, but still gives good ideas on maintenance, the scanning and OCR
process and some tips on how to fix certain errors.

Dasher Gets adopted
By Julie hatley

This is a kids book about Dasher a Greyhound.

Both of these are under the .rtf section of the website. and all scannos and
the like I could figure out got fixed.
About Dasher:
The story begins with Dasher meeting her new family for the first time.

The book is about Dasher's fears, mistakes, and triumphs as she learns the
joy of being in a loving home.

The abrupt transition from the race track to her new home confuses Dasher.
She wonders if she did something wrong to cause the change. Time, patience,
and bonding through shared activities, helps Dasher learn to love and trust
her family.

Dasher Gets Adopted combines creative storytelling and delightful
illustrations with values important to every family. Age range is 4-8.

What's being said about Dasher Gets Adopted...

"The book provides a wonderful opportunity for parents to help kids develop
empathy and understanding for a new family member. --Tami Beutel (author)

"I liked it!" --Shay Stenchever (age 3 1/2)

"Dasher Gets Adopted is a really good book." -Cathy Fisk (mom)

"A charming and informative story of greyhound adoption from the retired
racer's point of view." -Alyssa Stenchever (mom)

"It's a fun story for children. Dasher is a great character." --Liza Hanses
(mom)

"Dasher Gets Adopted is good for any family, but ideal for those with
adopted children or stepchildren." -Vicky Carlsen (has two stepchildren)

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com