[bookshare-discuss] Time for validating a book, correccting errors in scans, and I like Daisy

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:59:52 -0700

Among the text somewhere in the flurry of posts over the weekend someone
said that you could take as much time as you needed to validate a book.  I
am a new bookshare volunteer, and while I have scanned a number of books,  I
am just beginning to try to validate some of the titles in the Step 1 area
that have the .ARK format since I have OpenBook.

This morning when I looked over some of the .ARK format titles,  I think I
recall reading in the text that a person had ONE WEEK to validate the book
after downloading it, after which the title would be put back on the Step 1
list.

Can someone clarify this?  I did not get one today, as I was not sure if I
had the time.

Also, are the longer descriptions available to read before you download
them, in order to know a bit more about the title before choosing to get it?

Thanks.

Someone also mentioned correcting scanning errors as they proceeded in a
book.   I really appreciated hearing that.  I too feel like if I can read as
I go, it makes for a better scan.  Sometimes I find that when there are
errors, I just re-scan and the page errors are not repeated.

Sometimes I have a problem with  the letters o and m being thought to be o r
n. So for example the name Tom might be thought to be the word torn.  I
tried making and OCR correction but then what happens to that fellow, the
poor real Tom?  Or maybe the word commen is thought to be cornmon.   Sounds
like a Reggae cereal, doesn't it?

Also... About reading files in Daisy format... I have just begun using the
FS Reader the little Freedom Scientific Daisy reading software.  It sure
works slicker to me using JAWS than the one that came when I first joined
Bookshare.  I think it was the Viktor demo, which I found to be rather
awkward for navigating through text.  And navigating is what I like about
Daisy as opposed to just plain text.  Nice to have the means to skim through
the article titles and chapter headings and such.

I am going to try and complete a scan on a book I borrowed from our library
that is on the bounty Wish List....   Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert
Jail by Malika Oukfir and Michelle Fitoussi.

Anyway, thanks for the community and have a great week everyone.

Rik
d28rik@xxxxxxx