[bookshare-discuss] The Zookeeper's Wife

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

Your description of And Miles To Go brings to my mind
a book I recently finished reading The Zookeeper's
Wife by Diane Ackerman. This is the story of Jan and
Antonina Zabiniski, owners of the Warsaw Zoo, which
was famous and had a large collection of wonderful and
rare animals. The Nazis did take a lot of the animals.
The Bialowieza forest of Poland, near Warsaw, had
animals, including the horses and arochs (I think they
are called) and other animals that had as ancestors
prehistoric animals. I think it was Goebbels, though
maybe it was Goerring, wanted to breed them back to
recreate what existed eons ago--to breed out the
interbreeding and create perfect Aryan animals--and
then hunt them.

But the main point of the book is the Zabinskis' use
of the zoo, once it became empty because of the Nazis'
taking the animals for their own zoos, to save
hundreds of Jews and other Poles. They used the cages,
underground passages, and their villa to hide people,
some permanently through the war years, others for a
while until they could be moved to the next place on
their way out of Poland.

Diane Ackerman is a botanist and the first pages are
filled with descriptions of the flora and fauna of the
area--and her writing didn't captivate me. But the
subject matter was interesting and so rather than give
up on the book, as I sometimes do now, I read it.
After the war, the animals returned and the animals in
forest survived.

G.Cindy

> > I've read it, and this book tells the story of how
> different underground
> > resistance movements spirited away the Polish
> government's most valuable
> > bloodlines of horses, including Witez II, during
> World War II, to preserve
> > what Poles felt was an irreplaceable part of
> Poland's national heritage.
> > These horses were considered a national treasure.
> The Axis countries
> > actually fought amongst themselves as to who would
> get the different
> > horses after Poland was defeated.  It's a
> fascinating story, not just
> > about the horse who is one of the most influential
> Arabian horse sires in
> > American lines of Arabian horses, but also about
> the people who were
> > committed to saving these animals.
> >
> > Judy s.
> >
> > 22. And Miles to go, the biography of a great
> Arabian Horse, Witez Iiby
> > Linel Smith, hardcover, 230 pages, contains many
> foreign words with a
> > pronunciation guide at the end which might
> discourage some of you, I just
> > wanted to give you as much info as I can about the
> book. This horse
> > suffered hardships during WWII and then came to
> the United States and
> > founded a dynasty. Well researched.

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/