[bookshare-discuss] Re: Something is fishy at Bookshare

  • From: John Immarino <johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:35:09 -0700

Thanks for clearing that up, Monica. I've been scanning books for just a few months for Bookshare and was alarmed to find the approval queue growing so large. I understand now that there are new subcontractors adding many new titles. This can only be a good thing even though it may take a while for the books to work their way through the system.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Hi John. No, there haven't been cut-backs at Bookshare, In fact, the reverse
is true. They're expanding and have some great new people on board both as
on-site staff and as off-site subcontractors. I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised to see the changes in the approval queue over the next few months.
Books go to the approval queue from several sources including Bookshare's
new subcontractors as well as volunteer efforts. It's the place books go to
be converted into daisy and Braille before they go into the Bookshare
collection. As the subcontractors ramp up to full production, this queue may
get pretty big sometimes, especially if they upload batches of books at
night. Then it will shrink again as books are approved. Last week several of
the Bookshare staff were out of the office, and the subcontractors also
uploaded a big pile of books to the approval queue. These events combined to
create a queue that's bigger than usual. You'll see it shrink over the next
week or so as the staff approves the books. Bookshare made a promise to add
100,000 new books to the collection in a five-year period. They're making
some nice progress toward making that reality. (smile)

Monica Willyard
From: John Immarino [mailto:johni2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:29 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Something is fishy at Bookshare

Usually there only a dozen or so books awaiting administrative approval after a proofreader has accepted them. I checked this morning and there are 523 books on the waiting list. Has there been some major cutbacks at Bookshare? To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx