[bookshare-discuss] Re: SEPARATE PAGES FOR BOOKS IN ENGLISH, BOOKS IN SPANISH, AND BOOKS FOR CHILDREN

  • From: Brenda Mueller <brendin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:09:12 -0400

I'm a Spanish linguist, but at home I'd rathere read bookks in English until I
get a good braille display.  Now what do I think of people who come and not
learn our language? I know that in their own countries, you wouldn't be treated
gently.  If you didn't know the language, you'd be under the control of
interpreters and such.  Culture is culture, guys.  Believe it or not, America
has a culture just as rich as anyone from those countries.  Most Americans who
never left home don't understand that we have a culture, too.  They can afford
to at least try to learn about our culture, too.  That includes our language.
Yes, but there's nothing wrong with providing books in Spanish.

They'll be there for young kids who will come up as I did with a lot more than
I had to look at.  They'll be there for Spanish-speakers whoo want to read
them.  Now look.   When you want books in English to browse through, you should
have that.  If a Spanish-speaker and a student want to browse through Spanish
books, then why not give them a title for books in Spanish? Why shouldn't the
titles be labeled appropriately, so  that we all get what we want? What's
unique about the US is that More and more people will learn both things.  Maybe
We'll become a multiple language culture.  We certainly eat that way.  Consider.

Still, when I go online looking for new books, I should be able to look for new
Spanish books, or ones in English.

I wasn't very happy when I wanted to browse new books lastsunday  .  At least,
I, as a Spanish linguist knew not to download those books, because I don't have
Spanish braille or voice.  I don't know what happened to the new comer.  Don't
be so quick to condemn your own for speaking out.  That person actually tried
to offer the solution.  I didn't like that list either, not because it was
there but because I couldn't get to what I wanted; books with English titles,
so I could choose a western or something.  So you can condemn me right along
with that person.  That person had a point, whether you like it or not.

Brenda Mueller