[bookshare-discuss] Re: Requesting some Help with the List

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:03:49 -0400

Hi Cindy,

I'm not Peter but hopefully I can give you some answers along the lines of
what Peter was referring to.
Third party software would be packages like the Victor Reader, braille
translation programs, and any other programs that would be of interest to
someone using the Bookshare service.  I think, although it wouldn't qualify
as third party software, the Bookshare unpack utility would be a valid
topic of interest to the discussion group as well.
Third party hardware would be items like BookPorts, Book Couriers, MP3
players, braille devices, etc.
The best way I could describe the difference between the discussion group
and the volunteer group would be, the discussion group is for those
interested in using Bookshare as a library service, and the volunteer group
is for those who wish to build and add to the library itself.  As such,
while you will probably get comments on the structure, bugs, and errors, in
the web site itself in both groups, the questions relevant to uploading,
editing, validating, scanning, scanning tools, books being scanned, books
awaiting validation, etc. are more suited to the volunteer list.

Hope this helps, and that it isn't contradictory to the point Peter was making.

Dave