[bookshare-discuss] Re: READING AND EDITING WHILE FLYING

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:41:20 -0400

Well, smile.

This is what I do.

First I san or download the books using my DSL.  You can't call out so far
in economy class where I usually end up being sat.

I copy the files onto a compact flash card, which I carry with me.

I use my Braillenote, I try to have it fully charged, but it doesn't appear
to be necessary as the BN has a 20 hour or so battery life.
 I was told once that if you turn off the voice or the Braille display you
do save power.  Also the compact flashes like to take power, so storing the
files on the hard drive can save a bit of power.

I have two folders on the card.  Books to edit and Books completed.

I put the edited copy of the book in the edit folder.

I prefer to edit in keyword.  I am usually editing stuff I will submit
later, so if it refuses to translate back I can edit it as a text file and
submit it as a text file.  For the first spot to convert to keyword, I
usually do that right after the copyright page.  I will save about every
chapter or so, if the book has them or about every ten pages or so, unless
the BN is acting cranky in which case I will save more often.

H.T.H., smile.  But does make the time go by much quicker.  There are
outlets in some plains where you can connect devices like lap tops and the
like.  I would have to wonder in the BN people might think about it.  Though
to my knowledge they are not included in economy class.  Alas.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com