[bookshare-discuss] Proofreading with JAWS 10 and MS Word 2002

  • From: "Lisa Belville" <lisab12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:28:48 -0600

Hi, all.

First, I just want to say the new site is fantastic.  Thanks to the Bookshare
staff and volunteers who took the time to listen to each other and do a
fantastic job of incorporating so many suggestions and features.

I'm having an issue with JAWS that I hope someone on here has encountered.

I just updated to JAWS 10, and one of the first issues I noticed is that JAWS
will no longer announce hard page breaks in MS Word 2002.

I've checked my formatting and editing options, and JAWS is set up to speak
page breaks.  However, JAWS no longer indicates a soft or hard page break.

Previous versions of JAWS would announce the page number when encountering a
soft page break and say "page Break" when reading a hard page break.

This behavior occurs in any file format opened in MS Word.  I've tried
adjusting my views and zoom rate, but this hasn't fixed the issue.

Right now I'm using the print view with 100% zoom.

I've looked through the new proofreading manual, and it says books need page
breaks, but it doesn't indicate whether we need to insert hard page breaks if
they aren't already present.  If the hard versus soft page breaks issue is no
longer relavant, then I can proofread as usual.  However, if hard page breaks
are still required, or if I can't find a fix for this issue, then I will need
to revert to an older version of JAWS so I can continue volunteering for
Bookshare.  I don't mind doing this, but it would be nice to not have to load
and unload various versions of JAWS as version 10 works well for me in all
other instances.

I contacted Freedom Scientific technical support and they can't reproduce the
issue.  However, I'm thinking they're not aware of the differences between a
soft and hard page break, so they wouldn't necessarily notice the difference.

I apologize if this is rehashing old issues.  I've been off of the main
Bookshare lists for a few months.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Lisa
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Lisa Belville
lisab12@xxxxxxxxxxx
missktlab1217@xxxxxxxxxx