[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:41:26 -0600

Not sure if this is the same Burgess.  I think the 1st edition was 1970.
It is a reasonably exhaustive resource for the collector.  From a
scientific point of view it seems to straddle the fence between the old
taxonomical orthodoxy based on conchilial morphology and more recent
approaches.  It's going to be a real bear to scan. . . When I used it as a
reference in the '70s it was a sizable tome of a hardbook full of
population distribution maps and color plates.  It may have been reissued
under a new edition. . . I hope so, because the color photos all bore a
slightly sickly greenish tinge that could make specimen identification a
trial
sometimes.
If anyone decides to scannit, be prepared. . . it's going to be a labour
of editing love.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  (512) 286-5794
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

'there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept'
                             Ansel Adams

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
Sent by:
01/23/2009 09:33 PM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile

I am not in the mood to check bibliographies right now, so let me ask.
Does my memory fail me or is that one of the works that S Gould drew on
heavily in formulating his theory of punctuated equilibrium? Whether it is
or not, as a Gould fan, I would be interested in reading it myself. It is
definitely one I have not read. Presumably that is the same Burgess of
Burgess shale fame? Do you know when it was published?

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile
Date:
1/23/2009 9:13:07 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Thank you Monica,  if you ever became infatuated as I am with the Cowrie
genus,  please scan and submit to Bookshare

The Living Cowries -- by C. M. Burgess

It is, in fact, a somewhat dated if excellent book on the subject. Yet,
passionate arguments on the problem of regional population variants versus
subspeciation
in the all too variable C. arabicula. -- while fascinating and valuable
amongst evolutionary biologists and malacologists -- would exceed the
scope of
topical discussions on this board.  Besides, discussion of certain details
of Cowrie anatomy may even be found offensive to the sensitivities of some
non
initiates.

(smiles!)

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  (512) 286-5794
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:
http://www.ibm.com/able

'there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept'
                            Ansel Adams

Monica Willyard
Sent by:

01/23/2009 07:51 PM

Please respond to
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

table with 2 columns and 3 rows

<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile
table end

Guido, thanks for giving me something to smile about. Your explanation
wonderfully surpasses anything I might have written.

Monica Willyard