[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: synthetic voice shock

  • From: James Nuttall <jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Susan:
It takes some work to transform a Bookshare book into an audio MP3 book with a
natural sounding text-to-speech reader.  Here are some of the steps that I
follow.
(1) I take a Bookshare book into Microsoft Word and save it as a text file.
(2) I then take this text file into a program called TextAloud which you can
get from www.nextup.com
 you can then save this text output as an audio MP3.  You use natural sounding
human voices such as the NeoSpeech voices which can also purchase from
www.nextup.com
(3) you can then place these MP3 files on any MP3 player or on a device like a
Victor Reader Stream.
James Nuttall