[bookshare-discuss] OT: Slumdog Millionaire

  • From: "Nancy Feldman" <nancy_feldman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:04:08 -0700

Good Morning,

I normally don't pay much attention to the Golden Globes or the Oscars.  I
usually find that they pick obscure, tedious movies, most of which I haven't
seen and have no desire to see.

And then there's Slumdog Millionaire, a movie about a young man in India who
goes on their version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.  He does exceedingly
well, and the police begin to suspect him of cheating.

As he is question, the story of his life unfolds, and we see how his
experiences prepared him for just this set of questions.

There's romance, mayhem, moments to make you laugh, and a few moments that
made me want to cry.

It's an excellent movie.

Some caveats:  In the early parts of the movies, a great deal of Hindustani
is spoken.  I have a good friend who read me all the subtitles, but without
that assistance, you'll miss a lot.  Unless you speak Hindustani, of course.

If you prefer books to movies, this movie is based on a book called Q and A
by Vikas Swarup.  The story seems a little different, but it received
critical acclaim as well.