[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: September's fund-raiser

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"@freelists.org, Jim Fruchterman <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:59:28 -0700

Jim will want to comment further on this, but I believe the thinking here is
that if the books are available already on Gutenberg then our limited
resources are better spent getting different books into the Bookshare
collection.

Lisa

From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 02:48:55 -0400
To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: September's fund-raiser

Hi, Linda. I would have to change the tense of the word originate to
originated.
Bookshare licensed a block of public domain books from Gutenberg shortly
after it opened its doors six years ago, but unless something new has
happened, we no longer receive books from them.  We are also not allowed to
submit books from their collection unless we scan them ourselves.  So in my
mind, we are actually competitors of a sort, 2 organizations who for
whatever reason do not share our resources of public domain books.  I'm not
saying that the work of Gutenberg isn't worthy of donations.  I will say
that I think it's really silly that we can't work together to continue
making additional public domain books available to both organizations.

Monica Willyard