[bookshare-discuss] Re: O_T Liz H.'s Dog

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:22:11 -0500

Ah, it depends on the town.  here they assume unless otherwise that a dog
bites, end of story, so a simple "Does that Dog bite," with the answer "not
usually" will send people into a panicked flight away from the dog.

So sometimes I need to explain that guide dogs are gentle and are not
allowed to be aggressive, but sometimes it is lost on people.  And sometimes
I don't try, smile, depending again on what neighborhood I find myself
standing in.  Or if I am on a bus or where I am.

Here my dog is a "guard" dog, I am not quite sure where that one came from,
smile, shrug, but I try to change it if I can.  It is usually different
ethnic groups that appear to be absolutely terrified of my dog.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.