[bookshare-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, February 10, 2011

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:12:35 -0500

Hi Folks,

We had a really great meeting last night, with attendance in the double digits,
although the book we discussed, Earth by David Brin, had decidedly mixed
reviews, with many of us not even finishing it.

Our next meeting will be on February 10, 2010 at the Book Nook:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 Central, 7 Mountain, 6 Pacific, and 02:00 UTC.

This month, we'll be reading:

Steal Across the Sky by Nancy Kress, available from BARD at the following link:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.70030

Here's the NLS synopsis:

The alien Atoners invite twenty-one human volunteers on an exploration of seven
distant planets to witness the results of Atoners' crimes against humanity
committed ten thousand years ago. When recruits Cam, Lucca, and Soledad arrive
in the Kular system, they slowly uncover the horrible truth.

Here's a longer description from Booklist taken from Amazon:

Aliens calling themselves Atoners appeared one day, built a base on the moon,
and put an ad on the Internet. The ad said they had once wronged humanity. Now,
to make such amends as they could, they were asking for human volunteers to
visit other planets as capital-W Witnesses for the Atoners. Governments and
people alike thought this was a stupid joke, but no. Kress presents three
Witnesses, what they found on the
planets they visited, and what they learned about the Atoners-and themselves.
The
story is set about 2020, and the Witnesses are randomly selected humans from an
environmen not much changed from today. None are scientists, journalists, or
spies. They are people who are curious but have no training that would be
useful for analyzing any kind of alien environment. There is plenty of
interpersonal conflict in their story, backgrounded with the questions of what
the aliens really want and how far they can be trusted. A curious and absorbing
novel.

Sounds pretty intriguing, so I hope lots of you will give it a try and join us
next time to talk about it.

Evan

P.S. Lissi and I are fast tracking this book to get it on Bookshare. When it's
up, I'll post the link.