[bookshare-discuss] Re: How Many NLS Members? (was) Re: Bad scan Wheel of Time 3

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:29:43 -0800

Hi,

I'll briefly answer your questions. I am a member of NLS. Any US citizen can join both NLS and bookshare assuming they have a print disability. You don't have to be a member of one to be a member of the other.

There is one group who can get books internationally. O'reilly Media allows this but this is the exception. You don't need to be a US citizen for those.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Wheel of Time books aren't on Web-Braille except the prologue of book 11. This means that you have to get them on tape. That effectively excludes the deaf and anyone who doesn't like that format. I'm not deaf but I don't like talking books. Therefore, bookshare is the best option for me. Also, it can take many months for NLS to get new books as you know. You need to back-translate formatted Braille files to use them unless you have an embosser or Braille notetaker. This isn't necessary with bookshare. If you know that the WOT books are in fact on NLS and Web-Braille, please give me the BR numbers and I'll be greatful. Thanks.