[bookshare-discuss] Re: Fw: How to Predict the Future

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:00:37 -0700

Sue,

Another reading friend of mine told me about Greg Iles, and I have read a number of his titles from Bookshare which have been really good. I like suspenseful books that keep you interested.

I recently read the FREEDOM WRITERS' DIARY by the high school students in Long Beech under their English teacher, Aaron Grewel. Obviously, this was a completely different type of reading, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. That made me look up and read Ann Frank's diary which I had never read before. Ann Frank would have been my mother's age, and it was so interesting to read of her thoughts and feelings during those horrible days.

As you can see, I read a lot of different things which is why I enjoy Bookshare so much. I can come up with an idea from what I am reading, look it up, and then download and read to my heart's content. I am always looking for other ideas for reading as well.

Dianne B. PPhelps and Primrose,

Making up for Lost Reading Time
----- Original Message ----- From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How to Predict the Future

By Ray Kurzweil

A good sense of timing is key to success. Fortunately, it's easier to see
the future--and to plan for it--than you may think.

From: Inc. Magazine, February 2007

In 2002, I had a conversation with Marc Maurer, president of the National
Federation of the Blind. I had first worked with the NFB in 1976, helping
build the first print-to-speech reading machine. Over the years, the
various
models of that device got smaller, but it remained a scanner-based system
that required blind users to bring reading material to their desks. There
is
a lot of reading material that you can't bring to your desk, of course,
like
a sign on a wall or the bank ATM display. You could bring a menu back to
your desk, but you'd probably prefer to read it in the restaurant.

For years, I had been predicting that someday, blind men and women would
be
able to use a pocket-size reader to read anything they wanted as they went
through the day, from the labels in their clothing to the baking
instructions on the back of a muffin-mix box. Now Maurer wanted to know
when
I thought that day would come, and I predicted that the actual hardware
for
sufficiently powerful digital cameras and pocket computers would be ready
in
four years, by the second quarter of 2006. Developing the software, I
added,
would also take four years, so the Kurzweil Cos. and the NFB had better
get
started on the project right away.

Right on schedule, the digital cameras and pocket computers with the specs
that we needed became available last spring. Our software development
project was completed on time, and so we introduced a new, portable
reading
machine for the blind this past July. Today, there are on the order of a
thousand blind people reading all the print they encounter as they go
through the day. Other companies have taken notice and are starting to
develop competing products. As a result of our technology forecasting,
however, we have a nice jump on the market.

To what do I owe this exquisite sense of timing? The simple truth is that
timing is key to success as an inventor, so I've spent the past 30 years
studying the rate by which information technology advances. Being an
engineer, I gathered data on technology trends in different fields and
built
mathematical models. What I discovered is that understanding the timing of
technological change is not as mysterious as most people think it is. In
fact, I found that the models were surprisingly predictive, and today I
have
a group of 10 people at the Kurzweil Cos. helping me gather data and build
these models.

The common wisdom that you can't predict the future is not all wrong. We
can't predict specific things, such as whether Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG)
stock
will be higher or lower three years from now. But within information
technology there are meaningful patterns. The evolution of information
technology follows such exquisitely smooth exponential trajectories, in
fact, that I can say with confidence that all information technology
doubles
its price performance and capacity pretty much every year. If you ask me
the
cost of a MIPS (million instructions per second) of computing in 2010, the
cost of sequencing a base pair of DNA in 2012, or the spatial resolution
of
brain scanning in 2014, I can give you detailed figures and they are
likely
to be accurate. This has proved true for computation for more than 100
years, going back to the first data processing equipment used to automate
the 1890 census.

One way to think about the patterns in information technology is to look
at
science, where we see other examples of remarkably predictable effects
resulting from the interaction of inherently unpredictable phenomena. The
laws of thermodynamics provide an example. The path of each molecule in a
gas is modeled as a random walk. Yet the properties of the overall gas,
made
up of many chaotically interacting particles, is predictable to a high
degree of precision. Technology evolution is, similarly, a chaotic system
with remarkably predictable properties.

There's another wrinkle to keep in mind. When I say that information
technology doubles in price performance and power each year, remember that
the rate itself is expanding at an accelerated rate. It took three years
double the price performance of computing equipment in 1900, two years in
1950, and we're now doubling it every year. At today's exponential rate,
doubling every year means multiplying by a thousand in 10 years and a
billion in 30 years. But with the rate of acceleration continuing to grow,
we will actually hit the billion mark in only 25 years. Consider the
pervasive influence of information technology in today's world and
multiply
that by a billion in a quarter century--while we shrink the size of both
electronic and mechanical technology by a factor of 100,000 in the same
time
frame--and you'll get some idea of how revolutionary information
technology
will be in the future.

All sorts of industries will be affected, beyond what we think of
conventionally as computing. Take energy for example. Today, it seems like
an area of grave concern, with implications from global warming to
pollution
to geopolitical instability. The fact that demand for energy is projected
triple within 20 years heightens our worries. Based largely on the
19th-century technology of fossil fuels, energy is not what we would
consider an information technology. Not yet anyway. But when we have fully
programmable nanotechnology, through which we can reorganize matter and
energy at the molecular level, then we will see a revolutionary
transformation.

Here's what I mean: Today we produce 14 trillion (about 1013) watts of
power, 78 percent of which comes from fossil fuels. We have, however,
plenty
of energy in our midst. About 1017 watts of sunlight fall on the earth, or
roughly 10,000 times more energy than we regularly consume. Solar panels
today do a poor job of capturing this energy because they are inefficient,
expensive, heavy, and difficult to integrate with building materials.
Today
production of solar power costs on average $8 per watt, much more than
other
energy sources.

The economics of solar power are poised to change dramatically, however,
as
a new generation of solar panels made with nanomaterials comes of age.
Developed by a series of venture-backed companies eagerly jockeying to
disrupt that $1.9 trillion worldwide oil industry, these innovative panels
are projected to drop in price within a few years. And whether or not any
of
the known businesses now developing them are successful, once we have
full-scale molecular nanotechnology-based manufacturing, we'll be off to
the
races.

At this point, energy will become an information technology dominated by
massively parallel, computation-controlled molecular manufacturing
processes. In 20 years, I believe solar panels will be as inexpensive as a
penny per square meter. We will be able to place them on buildings and
vehicles, build solar energy farms, and incorporate them into clothing for powering mobile devices. Converting 0.0003 percent of all sunlight hitting
the earth, which will be feasible at that time, will let us meet 100
percent
of our energy needs two decades from now. In yet another welcome change,
we
will be able to store the energy in nanoengineered fuel cells that will be
tiny and widely distributed, a great improvement over the centralized,
dangerous energy storage facilities we rely on today, such as liquid
natural
gas tanks.

Most discussions of global warming make no mention of the ability of
nanotechnology to solve this problem within 20 years. Al Gore's movie An
Inconvenient Truth never mentions nanotechnology, which in my view is a
rather big oversight. The inclination to project the current rate of
change
into the future, what I call the "intuitive linear view," is hard-wired in
us. The reality is that transformative changes happen faster and faster
today. The telephone took 50 years to be adopted by a quarter of the U.S.
population. The cell phone did that in thirteen years. Only five years
ago,
most people did not use search engines. Just three years ago we did not
hear
the terms "blog," "podcast," or "social network." And three years ago,
people thought that it was impossible for a business to make money on
Internet advertising. Today, we have Google, a company with a $157 billion
market cap that does just that.

The pace of change is already so fast that the world will be a very
different place by the end of the three-year planning cycle of typical
business projects currently under way, let alone the six- or seven-year
venture capital horizon. In my own technology projects, we bake into our
development and business plans projections that call for the rapid
advancement of technology, on a quarter-by-quarter basis. One pleasant
result of doing this is that we often find that today's difficult
tradeoffs
dissolve within a short period of time. With the doubling of price
performance each year in every kind of information technology, you just
need
to wait a short while to find that you can have your cake and eat it too.

The past is an accurate guide to the future only if we take these
exponential progressions into account. But relatively few people do. We
see
what is right in front of us and expect that pace to continue. But a
studied
look at history shows that progress is exponential, not linear, and the
difference is profound.

Ray Kurzweil is an inventor, the co-founder of the Kurzweil Cos., and the
author of five books, including The Singularity Is Near.

Copyright © 2006 Mansueto Ventures LLC. All rights reserved.
Inc.com, 375 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10017

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070201/column-guest_Printer_Friendly.html

To contact a list moderator about a problem or to make a request, send a
message to BlindNews-Owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The BlindNews list is archived at: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind/

To address a message to all members of the list, send mail to:
BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Access your subscription info at:

To unsubscribe via e-mail: send a message to
BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in either
the subject or body of the message

11:55 AM