[bookshare-discuss] Re: FW: Gutenberg Books

  • From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:58:57 -0400

I don't understand why we should use Bookshare resources to house books from PG when those same books can be had from PG's site. PG doesn't charge for their books since they are in the public domain.

Wouldn't it be more effective to point folks who want those books to go to the PG site? That way they would have access to Bookshare and also to PG resources.

Just my 2 cents worth.
From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:57:23 -0700
To: Lisa Friendly <LisaF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<"bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx">
Conversation: Gutenberg Books
Subject: Gutenberg Books

I think we¹d be willing to loosen our limitations on
digital book
acceptances when it comes to public domain Gutenberg
books.  Because they
are public domain, nobody is breaking any rules
submitting them to
Bookshare.org.  And, the Gutenberg team can be
relied upon when they decide
something is public domain (the question is complex
and we have to be
careful).  They are very supportive of our work, and
we didn¹t license the
books from them, we just did them the courtesy of
touching base before using
them.  We¹re not really competitors: they do a great
job on public domain,
and as Lisa notes, we¹re working on copyrighted
material almost exclusively
(which Gutenberg generally can¹t).  So, we
complement each other

We just haven¹t allocated the effort to convert more
Gutenberg books since
our original launch five years ago. We¹ve not gotten
a lot of requests for
them.  Another disadvantage is that the Gutenberg
books are generally
unformatted ASCII text.  When we did the big import,
we just inserted page
breaks every 60 lines or so.    If it¹s of big
interest to our users, we¹d
probably do another big import.  But, it would flood
the new book listing
with a lot of boring books!

Jim