[bookshare-discuss] Re: Covers

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:27:06 -0700

Hi. I agree with your position. Again, I didn't say it was illegal, I said possibly. Please don't turn words around. I also didn't say to sacn the front at the beginning and the back at the end as you seem to think. Technically, that's how it should be done though if that's how it appears in the book, but I agree that it makes it more confusing to read. Again from a validator's standpoint, please put it first thing at the beginning of the book. Yes, I've seen a few that do stop in the middle of a sentence, say "continued on back flap" and resume at the end of the file. While inconvenient, it still isn't difficult to go to the end and read or copy the rest of the jacket. I suppose it's also a preference thing but please be consistent one way or the other.

At 10:36 AM 9/13/06 -0700, you wrote:

No, I will not do that.  It is not illegal.  If it were, NLS wouldn't be
legally able to do it.  It is not an arbitrary position.  And please tell me
how confusing it would be to put half the dusd jacket information at the
beginning of the book, and half at the end?  Keep in mind that dust jacket
information often breaks off in the middle of a sentence at the end of the
inside front cover in order to continue it on the back cover.  A sighted
person can simply flip the book and resume reading with hardly a pause,
while someone reading a computer file has to go to the end of the file, then
search backwards to find where the back cover information begins - again,
often in the middle of a sentence.