[bookshare-discuss] Re: Covers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

Too often the back cover of both paperbacks and
hardbounds is reviews or cudos for the book or,
sometimes author bios. In the latter case I put that
at the end; often it's on a final page in the book
anyway.

But I've found covers impossible to scan. I usually
just type the info myself. I try to approximate the
font size, but that isn't necessary, and anyway if the
type is too large certain readers--I don't remember if
it's Braille or some other technology--can't read it.
I think I was told some time ago n ot to use anything
large than 36 point. However, it really doesn't
matter.   Just the title and author can be typed on a
page as if it is the cover, even if there is an inner
title page, too.

And Jill is right; even with short or long synopses,
and many people don't include them, it's nice to have
the flap. In my work at the library, I find myself
reading the cover flaps and either adding the book to
my list of books to read or deciding no, I don't want
this one even if the cover has intrigued me. Last
Friday I found two more, neither of which is in the
bookshare collection: Engaged to Murder, a nonfiction
book in which  a principal and an English teacher were
convicted of killing the English teacher's fiancee and
her two children; and Bread-givers, which is about
fairly modern Jewish girls not wanting to marry men
their old-fashioned and strict father chooses for
them; I think one girl goes off on her own. Both, from
my skimming through a couple of pages, seem readable.
Some books sound interesting tome but when I look at a
couple of pages the writing seems tedious.

Cindy