[bookshare-discuss] Re: Covers

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:08:28 -0700

Sorry, those should all be light text on a dark background.

I wrote:

Okay, I see. That is the back cover in a paperback, but it is the insides of the front and back covers in a hardback. I always put that in, even though it can take some work to get it to come out right. Often, it is dark on light, and despite K1000's overall excellence, if I optimize scan on the text somewhere inside the book, the dust jacket info sometimes comes out garbled, with stuff missing, or in one case, it told me the page was blank even though it was full of dark print on a light background. I had to fiddle with scanner settings quite a bit before it would come out (mostly). (Yes, I indeed had it set to recognize dark text on a light background.) It just confirms what all my experience has shown: OCR is a lot better than it used to be, but it still can't equal an Optacon. If I could read faster with it, I might not scan at all.

Anyhow, I have a few hardbacks here, and I never considered looking at the outside back cover of one. Jeepers! I should at least see what is on one or two of them. Probably marketing fluff.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julie & Miss Mercy" <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>