[bookshare-discuss] Re: Bookport And Victor Reader comparisons

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:46:22 -0400

I don't think the Bookport will be useless anytime soon. I know I wouldn't want to be without mine, as it lives in my shirt pocket, and I use it daily. I'm not sure how big any of the newer readers such as the stream are, but I like the convenience of the Bookport as its just a bit bigger than a pack of playing cards. I also don't know what formats others such as the Courier or Stream play, but the following is an excerpt from the Bookport manual on what formats it handles.

Book Port directly accepts files of the following types:
      TypeDescription
      TXTText
      HTMWeb Pages
      HTMLWeb Pages
      BRFContracted Formatted Braille
      BRLContracted Unformatted Braille
      aaAudible.com Type 4
      MP3Compressed Audio
      WAVUncompressed Audio
      NCC.HTMLDaisy 2.x Digital Talking book
      OPFDaisy 3.X Digital Talking Book
      DOCMicrosoft Word 97 or later**
      RTFRich Text Format**

**Note that in order to send Microsoft Word? files, you must have Word 97 or
later installed.

Dave

At 09:50 AM 3/14/2008, you wrote:
Hi:
I don't have BookPort but I do have BookCourier and the Stream. I don't find navigation more difficult, just different. The Stream can read many more formats than the BC, and is the way digital books are going. As most of you know NLS is converting to digital format and the Stream can read those books, which neither BP or BC can not. I am very much afraid those of us who bought BP's and BC's are going to find they will be almost useless.

George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@xxxxxxxxx