[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted: In the Face of Danger

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:07:43 -0400

Third book in the Orphan Train Adventures four to go, this series used to be
called the "orphan train quartet" and is one of the series missing on the
School recommended reading list.

In the Face of Danger
By Joan Lowery Nixon

Needs a spell check, but besides should be great.

. . . There had been a loud, insistent knock at our door, and Megan ran to
answer it. Ma and I were right behind her as she opened the door to a woman
who was as dark and wrinkled as a walnut shell. Greasy strands of hair hung
over her eyes.
"A gypsy, " I heard Ma mutter under her breath.
From under her shawl the woman stretched out aclawlike hand, palm up. "Some
coins for a poor old lady?" she whined.
Ma said firmly, "I'm sorry, but we have nothing for you. "
She had started to close the door, but the woman snatched Megan's wrist. She
poked a long and dirty finger into Megan's palm. "Ohhh," she sighed. "What
have we here? Could it be that this child is a bad-luck penny?"
"None of that now!" Ma snapped. "Be on your way with that foolishness!"
Megan, whimpering with fear, tried to pull her hand away, but the gypsy's
fingers dug into her wrist. The old woman thrust her face close to Megan's
and muttered, "Bad luck will be with you and yours all the days of your
life."

Shy Megan Kelly truly believes she is to blame for her family's misfortune.
She'll never forget the day a gypsygrabbed her palm and read it, announcing
that Megan was a "bad-luck penny" who would always bring trouble to those
around her.
Megan is happy when a loving young couple living in the rugged Kansas
territory adopt her. But during the first trying months, a blizzard, a pack
of prairie wolves, and an armed fugitive are just some of the disasters the
family must face. Megan is certain the gypsy's curse is real. With the help
of her new family, can Megan find a way to overcome her fear and
superstition?

'This exciting and touching novel projects an aura of
historical reality!' -School Library Journal "Young teens who suffer from a
lack of self-esteem can
relate to this story!'-Voice of Youth Advocates

WINNER OF THE WESTERN WRITERS OF AMERICA GOLDEN SPUR AWARD

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com