[bookshare-discuss] Advance copies of books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:51:40 -0700 (PDT)

-Marissa,

You bring up a good point that to my knowledge (and
I've been here about  one and one-half or two years, I
think) hasn't been mentioned here before. Maybe it
just doesn't come up very often. That is, that advance
copies (proof, or preview) of books can't be sold. I
gather from your post that that would hold true for
Bookshare as well as for any bookstore.

Since I live in L.A., I we get donations of advance
copies of books that were sent to movie producers and
agents, and we can't sell them.  Also, I've noticed on
paperbacks the notice that book with the covers torn
off aren't supposed to be sold; they supposedly were
extras that should have been returned to the publisher
and for which, presumably, the bookseller was
re-imbursed. I wonder if some of those books have been
scanned and that's why sometimes scanners have trouble
finding the publisher and copyright info.

http://mail.yahoo.com