[bookshare-discuss] AADB and Daisy books

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:43:54 -0700 (PDT)

Please send any replies to dotbug3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Jamie,
Can you answer this for me and also post on the Bookshare
volunteer list for more responses?

Randy pope is with the American Association of the Deaf-Blind.
AADB is concerned because NLS is really pushing their Digital
Talking book program. But this program is not accessible to
those of us who are deaf-blind. and there is fear that the new
talking book project could take away from NLS services that are
accessible. (those programs are already severely limited as it
is)

Randy is looking into having AADB back Bookshare and lobby for
the government to support Bookshare ins5tead of NLS.

Bookshare's Daisy books are accessible to the deaf-blind because
they can be converted to text and read as large print or braille
filez. Daisy books can be used on a regular book reader and
appear as just braille for DB peole to read.
NLS Digital Talking books do not work that way. NLS feels it
costs too much to include the need files to allow us to read the
books on a braille display.

Randy is working on a proposal but needs more info on Bookshare
services and how they work. His question is a bit broad so I
assume he's looking for absolutely any info he can get on
Bookshare and what Bookshare does and offers and how it works.

I will forward info on to Randy.

Thanks for the help.

Here is Randy's message from AADB-L:
What I need is a description, each of Bookshare services and
how it work. I'm
planning to use this information as part of advocating
accessibility for the
Digital Talking Books. If you have any question, feel free to
post it here.

Angie.
dotbug3@sbcglobal. net
Support a good cause.
www.pipscause. org

I read with Feeling.
Currently reading: One Tree Hill Televsion Scripts

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Divided in Death by J. D. Robb

I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!